From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 1996 09:32:09 EDT
Glen writes:

>  I haven't done (and won't do) the research to answer the question
>  -when was the last time that the 4 current College Hockey Division I
>conferences operated with exactly the same teams two years in a row.
>It hasn't been in recent years - it is an evolutionary process and
>will presumably stay that way.
>  An easier question - maybe - is when did the WCHA and CCHA last
>consist of the same teams for two years in a row.  (I'm not going
>to do that research either, but again, not too recently.

Not that I was actually looking for this info, but I more or less stumbled
across it while compiling records on how teams have done in their respective
post-season tournaments...

Anyway, the last time all four leagues had the same teams for two consecutive
seasons was 1987-88 and 1988-89.  Actually, they all had the same teams for
three seasons in a row, starting in 1986-87.  And the only change from 1985-86
to 1986-87 was in the ECAC, where Army, which had been more or less an affil-
iate member since 80-81 (playing only one game against the other members,
rather than two), became a full-fledged member of the league.

The CCHA and WCHA managed to continue without any changes through the 1989-90
season, to answer Glen's "easier" question.

If you're keeping score at home, here are the evolutions among the four leagues
since the 1988-89 season (all changes occurring during the off-season before
the one listed, i.e. Merrimack joined Hockey East for the 1989-90 season, Army
left the ECAC prior to the 1991-92 season, etc.):

1989-90   Hockey East:  Merrimack joined the league

1990-91   WCHA:  St. Cloud joined the league

1991-92   ECAC:  Army left the league (announced during the 1990-91 season),
                 and Union joined the league

1992-93   CCHA:  Kent and Notre Dame joined the league, and Alaska-Fairbanks
                 joined the league as an affiliate
          WCHA:  Alaska-Anchorage joined the league as an affiliate

1993-94   WCHA:  Alaska-Anchorage became a full member

1994-95   Hockey East:  Mass Amherst (or UMass) joined the league
          CCHA:  Kent left the league

1995-96   CCHA:  Alaska-Fairbanks became a full member

And, for next year...

1996-97   CCHA:  Illinois-Chicago left the league

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"If that was a foul, I hope the Lord strikes me down right here on the spot...
 See, I told you."
-- Babe McCarthy, basketball coach, objecting to an official's call