Sender:
From:
David Naghski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 09:11:49 -0400
I've been reading the discussions for a few days now and just thought I'd like
to add a cent or two.  Many of the posts have caused me to ponder a few
questions which I'll throw out to the group.

1) Why does our society (using Hockey-L as a sampling) seem to think that
being a nickname for sports teams is such a huge honor?  These nicknames are
just that.  Being one puts you right up there with the previously mentioned
"Banana Slugs" and other animals and charicatures.  It seems to me a true honor
is being the name of the university, which Miami already is.  However, this
memorializing is a small token after the fact of a society being subjugated
by another.

2) Another point seems to be the assumption that the ENTIRE Miami tribe has
suddenly changed their minds about this one.  Now I would have to assume how
decisions of the tribe are made, but if I had to (asssume) I would guess that
the leaders are elected in a somewhat democratic process and then they make
the decisions based on member input.  As we might guess from observing the
United States "representative" democratic process, leaders are elected to
respresent us.  However, once the leaders are elected, many times
by a small number of citizens, they can make any decision they wish.
In other words, it could be that three years ago a very slight majority
(maybe) liked the name, and now a few people have shifted their opinion.  Or
it could be that the council of three years ago acted against the wishes of the
people.  Any of this discussion of the tribal opinions or decision process is
purely speculative and I don't suppose we'll know the true answer.

Dave Naghski
University of Cincinnati