Sender:
From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 1996 19:34:44 -0400
Comments:
Authenticated sender is <[log in to unmask]>
On 26 Jul 96 at 14:53, Josh Kleinbaum wrote:

> discussion encompasses all of sports).  Native Americans protested
> the World Series last year because of their name.  Their name is
> glorifying Native Americans, and should be seen as an honor, not an
> insult.

Oh the can of worms you may have opened.

My fiance is a Native American, and I asked her about what she found
offensive.. she said the names Redskin, Braves.. etc were not
offensive to her personally.  What she found most offensive is the
"chop" and even more so (ironically) people who say this should be an
honor.  People telling her, as a Native American, what she should
feel, makes her infinately more angry than any monkier a sports team
holds.

In essence her point is that a body of people, the majority of whom
are not Native American, are making light or mockery of something
that is ideally Native American.

I concur.. it's not an honor to have your culture exploited in any
way.  Some are going to dispute names, some are going to dispute
actions, but the point is all of this has to do with a group of
people's culture and it's not my place as a white man to decide what
Native Americans should or should not accept, it's up to them, and if
they don't like it, then neither do I.
---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
Orono, Maine