Sender:
From:
Rob Springall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 1996 08:41:45 EDT
[...John-Andrew Murphy wrote on Subject: Engineering Programs...]
>As far as I know, the Gourman Report is not the definitive report.
[...]
>The Gourman is reputable, but has problems, as well.

I sincerely apologize for commenting on a non-hockey matter, but I
missed the front part of the thread and the above Gourman Report
reference, for an old engineering admissions officer, is chilling:

"The Gourman Report is generally regarded as unsubstantial and possibly
fraudulent because the methodology and data cannot be verified and
replicated." - Debra Stuart, Oklahoma Board of Regents, in _Evaluating and
Responding to College Guidebooks and Rankings_ (Jossey-Bass, 1996, p. 17)

I agree with John-Andrew, though, that colleges should be evaluated
personally, with reliable, first-hand information. I recommend
_College_ by Boyer and _Involving Colleges_ by Kuh & Schuh as guidance.

Rob Springall, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA ([log in to unmask])
Rochester Institute of Technology '92: Go Tigers!
University of South Carolina '96:      Kill them Tigers!