Sender:
From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 1996 21:12:07 -500
Comments:
Authenticated sender is <[log in to unmask]>
greenie <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> A few comments on the new BU schedule...
>
> Glad to see BU opening the season up against Minnesota.

Well, BU has played Minnesota three times in the last three years, so
I would prefer to see BU play Michigan or Colorado College.  The
game is also in October, "when most teams still don't have their act
together," which makes the game much less important than the NCAA
semifinals, or the championship of the Mariucci Classic, which were
the last three times the two teams met.

> Of course, after Minnesota, the strength-of-schedule rating plummets
> down through the bedrock.

I seem to remember Vermont winning the ECAC regular season and being
an NCAA semifinalist last year, hardly "down through the bedrock".
Then in November they play Providence twice, Harvard, St. Lawrence
and Clarkson, which I see as all abow the bedrock.

 > When the heck are we going to see more Western teams going to the
> east to play? And I mean the "big" teams -- CC, Michigan, Minnesota,
> Lake State, et al. You people want to see college hockey grow in
> popularity? Give more schools the chance to put together more
> non-conference games. Why does BU have to play North Dakota EVERY
> YEAR (I know, they've got a little agreement, just like the BU
> basketball team had with Duke)? If you're going to make a swing out
> west, why not pick up some competition while you're out there?

Blame the WCHA and CCHA for scheduling so many league games.  Also,
some of those schools may *not* wish to play BU during the season,
unlike Minnesota.

As for North Dakota, BU did not play them in 1994-95.  They hosted
UND in 1993-94 and again last year, 1995-96.  This year's two games
in Grand Forks are UND's games to host.  Before the 1993-94 season,
BU and UND last played in the regular season in 1988-89, the last
year of the WCHA-HEA interlocking schedule.  The two teams last met
in 1990 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.  Since those three
games were played at BU, this will be the first time UND fans will be
able to see the Terriers in Grand Forks since the 1988-89 season.
Hardly *every year*, and I was happy to be able to see UND at BU in
1993-94 and last year.

> Speaking of scheduling, what a BIG surprise to see BU's second and
> third games against RPI and Vermont. I'm getting real tired of
> playing these two teams in October, when most teams still don't have
> their act together. Last season, BU had no problem with Vermont...
> in October. Had BU played the Catamounts in January or February, I'm
> sure it would have been a closer game.

Sorry, but the BU-UVM game last year was as close as a game can get
and still have a winner: BU 5, UVM 4.  The Cats also gave BU almost
more than they could handle, as they took a lead just 32 seconds into
the game and a 2-0 lead less than four minutes into the game. They
also played a great third period and BU was just barely able to hold
on for the win.

It was also the first time that the BU and UVM have ever played in
October.  The earliest they had played in a season previously was 1
Dec.  In the last eleven seasons the teams have met 7 times, 6 times
in December, four early in the month  (4th, 7th, 9th, 12th) and twice
late in the month ( 28th, 29th).  UVM won two, 2-1 and 3-1, while BU
won five, 4-3 (ot), 3-2 (3ot), 5-2, 11-1 and 5-4.

As for RPI, yes, they have played each other in October since
reviving the series in 1990-91.  While I would like to see them play
later in the season, I don't mind them playing in October.

> STILL speaking of scheduling, why am I not too excited by the St
> Lawrence & Clarkson road trip weekend? GOD would I love to see the
> Terriers play someone different for a change. How about Union?
> Cornell?

BU has played someone different for several years.  Before playing
SLU and Clarkson last year and this year, BU last played them in
1989-90 and 1990-91.  That means BU did *not* play them four four
straight seasons.  As for Cornell, BU played them in 1993-94 and
again last year and will likely play them next year.  Regarding
Union, I would not mind if they did, but what about "the
strength-of-schedule rating plummeting down through the bedrock"?

> Novermber 26 -- December 6. Four games in 11 days. All against ECAC
> opponents. I just can't stand the excitement.

I *can* stand the excitement, however I will also be at and enjoying
the games.  By the way, Yale is "someone different" as they last
played each other during the 1988-89 season.  Furthermore, it will be
only the third time since the ECAC-HEA split in 1984 that the teams
will play each other (the other time was in 1987-88)

> Is it just me, or is BU not playing in *any* tournaments besides the
> Beanpot next year?

BU is not playing in any in season tournaments other than the Beanpot
for the first time since the 1990-91 season.  Part of that may be do
to scheduling conflicts for the BU-UND series.  It may also be that
BU was not invited to any in-season tournaments, or declined any
invitations.

> February 14 -- February 22. Two games against Lowell followed by two
> games against Maine. 4 days after the beanpot championship (I hope).
> Ouch. Good way to warm up for the playoffs, I guess.

Plus, three of the games are on the road.

> OK, I'm done being a cynical bastard.

And I'm done answering the points you raised (cynical or not).

Sean Pickett            E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Go Terriers             1996 Beanpot Champions
BU Hockey:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/hockey.html