From:
Jennifer McClellan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jennifer McClellan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 15:08:16 -0500
Jerry Stephens wrote:
<snip>
> I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the home team has the
> rights to last lineup change which permits a dictation of match-ups, as
> well as the ability to place their bench and defend the goal during two
> periods to make it easier to accomplish line-changes during play.  Are
> there other, perhaps more subtle, advantages that the home team enjoys?
>
> Jerry Stephens
> LSSU 1986

Another advantage can be the proximity of the home bench to the penalty box, although
with the rule change about playing the puck coming out of the penalty box, I don't know
if this would make as much of a difference.  I've heard of this advantage because (if
memory serves) Michigan State's Munn Arena has the home bench right next to the penalty
box, while the visitor's bench is across the ice from it.  I've heard several fans from
other schools complaining about it (-:

Jennifer