From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 18:37:57 -500
Craig Lisko wrote:

> Being a previous player in the CCHA, the one referee system offers
> many benefits.
>
> 1. The players will know when they see the ONE referee what type of
> game its going to be.  Each referee has his owen style. Some will
> allow more stick work, others will allow harder hitting and some
> call everything. But when a player knows that only ONE referee is
> going to call the majority (99%) of the penalties, and they know
> what he calls, the game is more enjoyable for everyone.

Since each referee has his own style, you should still be able
to adapt for the two referees (which the ECAC, WCHA and Hockey East
players have done for the past several seasons).

If there is only one referee, and the players are aware of what he
likes to call, they may tend to commit those infractions which he
does not call.  This is not usually way even for both teams, as one
team usually tends to be better than the other team.  The less
talented team could regularly commit infractions a single referee
overlooks (holding the stick, for an example), and use it to their
advantage.  The more talented team usually does not need to regularly
commit infractions to gain an advantage.

Having two referees makes far more difficult for players to commit
an infraction, since the are likely to not know which referee may be
watching and therefore know what infractions that referee tends to
call or let go.

And on a personal note as a fan, I like the two referee system far
better than the one referee system.

> 2. Linesman in the CCHA have the authority to call penalties behind
> the play. Normally these are two guys giving it to one another up
> the ice. The linesman can also call major penalties. They do not
> have a huge impact on the game and they should be allowed to make
> these calls.

Allowing linemen to make calls will only work if the do make calls.
However, Craig mentioned above he would expect the single referee to
make 99% of the calls.  To me, the linesmen will need to make more
than 1% of the calls to be effective.

> This is just my opinion, and having played in various conferences
> during tournaments, two referees can simply cause too much
> confusion. Referees will tend to try and cover for the other and
> usually more questionable calls are made.

First, confusion on whose part?  The referees?  Players? Fans?  I have
seen several games which have had confusion from penalties, but most
were to do with multiple players being penalized at the same time.

As a fan, I disagree and think that fewer questionable call have been
made with the two referee system.  However, I do like the concept new
system.  However, I will have to wait and see if the linesmen call
penalties that the referee misses.

Sean Pickett            E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Go Terriers             1996 Beanpot Champions
BU Hockey:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/hockey.html