From:
Anthony Frolik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anthony Frolik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 1996 12:21:58 -0500
>I suggest a better split would be the following:
>
>Western Conference
>        Alaska-Anchorage
>        Alaska-Fairbanks
>        Nebraska-Omaha
>        Mankato State
>        Colorado College
>        Denver
>        North Dakota
>
>Central Conference (MacInnes!)
>        Michigan Tech
>        Northern Michigan
>        Lake Superior State
>        Minnesota
>        Minnesota-Duluth
>        Wisconsin
>        St. Cloud State
>
>Eastern Conference
>        Michigan
>        Michigan State
>        Ferris State
>        Western Michigan
>        Bowling Green
>        Notre Dame
>        Miami of Ohio
>        Ohio State
>
>Since I'm somewhat geographically challenged, it might be a better
>travel fit for Mankato State to be in the Central.  However, I think this
>split would result in the least amount of travel time (and expense) for
>teams within each conference.  For example, in the Eastern conference all
>travel would be by bus for in-conference games.  Likewise, the Upper
>Peninsula Teams (Tech, Northern and Lake State) would be spared the hell
>of a downstate Michigan bus ride twice each year.
>James T. Holden

A. Yes, Mankato would definitely be better in the Central, since it's only
an hour or so from Minneapolis, and maybe 3 from St. Cloud, 3.5 or 4 from
Duluth.

B.  Your central division looks nice, but isn't that defeating the whole
purpose of NMU's reaon for looking at the CCHA?  They want more downstate
exposure, and they aren't going to get it that way.

C. The consequence is that the eastern division is set up just about
perfectly, travel-wise.

Too many questions,
Tony Frolik

--
Anthony J. Frolik                            University of Minnesota Duluth
Go Bulldogs!                                  16-15-1 WCHA, 20-17-1 Overall