From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 1996 23:50:25 -0400
I wrote:
>> My question is, does anyone know the history of the DivII-III
>> awards?  Were they ever given in any year before or after 1988?  I
>> can find no mention of this in any of the Hobey literature anywhere,
>> nor on the Hobey web site. Before I decide to check with the Hobey
>> folks, I thought I'd see what people here know.

Thanks to Kurt Stutt, who alerted me to a note that appears in the ECAC
Hockey Guide.  I am reproducing it here as follows:

>The Decathlon Club has selected a Division II-III winner in the
>past and the ECAC has been well represented in selections.  ECAC
>winners of this award have been:
>
>1985  Hubie McDonough, St. Anselm
>1986  Tom Sasso, Babson
>1987  Tom Sasso, Babson
>1988  Jim Vesey, Merrimack

So far, this is the most I have found anyplace about the DivII-III Hobey.
BTW, McDonough in 1985 and Sasso in 1987 were also finalists for the DivI
Hobey as listed in the Hobey literature.  1988 was the first year that all
of the finalists came from DivI, and it has been that way ever since.

I do think that there should be a reinstatement of the DivII-III Hobey, and
maybe this will happen someday.  Who knows.  At the least, I think it is
too bad that the Decathlon Club does not mention these players as past
winners along with all of the others.  They deserve mention too.  It is in
the best interests of the game and of the Award that *all* past honorees be
recognized.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93