From:
"R. David Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
R. David Smith
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 1995 17:27:25 -0400
Echoing the sentiments of all the others...my thoughts and support go out
to Travis and his family.  It is a tragedy and hopefully will remind all
of us about the fragile humanity that goes out on the ice every night.

I am not a neurologist or a neurosurgeon, nor am I in physical medicine
and rehabilitation, but being an MD, I do know a little something about
spinal injuries.  Certainly, the prognosis is grim for full recovery, but
if the report that the cord was not transected is correct, there may be
some reason to hope.  A patient I know well was in an awful car accient
that fractured her first and second cervical vertebrae.  The cord was
bruised and badly swollen, but not transected, and she had a phenomenon
known as central cord syndrome which resolved as the swelling went down.
Today, you would never know anything ever happened to her...but it was a
long road back.

While I have no way of knowing if anything similar is going on the case of
Travis Roy, I do know that the will and determination of a patient is the
largest part of determining if that person will make it as far back as the
injury will allow...and then some.  From everything everyone has written,
it sounds like Travis has that kind of strength and drive and so while
there are tough days ahead, I wish him the strength to overcome and the
belief in himself and in those around him to come as far back as possible.
It's the kind of attitude and work ethic he used to skate for BU that just
might make it possible for dreams to come true again.  One thing I have
learned in medicine thus far in my young career...there are always
surprises and the people who believe and who keep the positive attitude
always find a way to go further than you expected.

Good luck.

Dave Smith