From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 1992 01:30:18 EST
Dave asks about how shots are kept in these games.  I've noticed quite a
few strange things about how the scoring is done.  For example, if a guy
puts in a rebound, the goal is scored as unassisted - the shooter isn't
given an assist.  Well, at least they are consistent.  I've also seen
cases where a player feeds a teammate for a 2x1 and only the two players
on the 2x1 are scored on the goal (one assist).  I don't know if that's
because they miss the first assist (not likely with all the replays
available) or because they just aren't giving those players assists.

I will say this - with all the hockey TNT (mostly) and CBS (a little) have
been showing, I'm having trouble keeping up with it.  And that's the way I
like it! :-)  After work, I come home to watch the tape, but inevitably I
find myself switching between the tape and CBS's prime-time coverage, such
as the other night when ice dancing was on.  And I am happy that TNT has
been filling its time after hockey with the medal performers from ice
dancing, etc. - after seeing that gold medal performance from the Russian
couple who ice danced to Bach, I really wished I had taped it.  What an
exquisite performance to an exquisite piece of music, and I'm not even a
classical music fan.  Anyway, I watched the France game on tape tonight and
yes, their performance was on after the game.  Thanks, TNT!

The Boston Herald has some remarkable quotes from CBS in today's (2/18) issue,
in a column by Jim Baker.

"Mark Harrington, CBS vice president for the Olympics, wasn't even aware
in a telephone press conference during the USA-Sweden tie that, barring a
loss, the Americans would play today.  He refused to say if he'd release the
game to TNT so cable viewers could watch it live.  Ultimately, Harrington
relented...

"...CBS' behind-the-scenes disdain for hockey emerged when coordinating
producer Mike Pearl told the St Petersburg Times: 'Hockey is getting attention,
but I'm convinced this USA team could crash any day now.  Tomba is a
celebrity skiier, so maybe he'll become the No. 1 headliner.  Who knows?'

"Nice attitude, Mike.  But typical.  It was like pulling teeth getting
Harrington to realize that viewers here aren't clamoring for more soft
features and that they don't want hockey treated with an after-the-fact
brushoff...

"When TNT was finally given the USA-France game, TNT executive producer Don
McGuire reacted: 'This proves CBS cares about US viewers and we're very
happy to carry the game.'  Privately, however, TNT sources credited the
Herald for convincing CBS to OK the live cable telecast.  Harrington
apparently didn't want a repeat of the 1980 ABC embarrassment when border
viewers saw Team USA live on Canadian TV before the action was made
available on ABC, which wanted it saved for all those lovely prime-time
ratings."

Now, of course, we face the problem of Friday's USA-(EUN/FIN) semifinal.  It
starts at 11 am EST, and no one is scheduled to be on air at that time.  TNT
doesn't come on until 1 pm.  I can't imagine that they aren't going to work
out something to get this game on live, but as it stands, it won't be on.
TNT is apparently getting much higher ratings with its weekday Olympic
coverage than with its normal fare, so I bet they'd jump at the chance to
show it.  But what will CBS do?  Will they release it or try to hold it till
primetime, and THEN only show it if the outcome is favorable?  The last
paragraph above makes me think there might be a good chance it will be on
live.

It would truly be a joke if Team USA's biggest game in 12 years is shown live
in Canada and much of the rest of the world, but not here.

Finally, two lighter notes:

1) I have to like this Alberto Tomba.  Flamboyant, yes, but the guy backs up
  what he says.  Headlines: "Tomba says when he leaves, Albertville will be
  renamed 'Albertoville'".  Then he goes out and wins a gold medal.
2) $60 (US) tickets for USA-Sweden were going for $500 Monday.  It would be
  quite an understatement to say I'm getting pretty excited about the chances
  for this team!  There's not much else I can think about.  Yet, we've got
  to remember that there is still a distinct possibility that they could
  finish out of the medals altogether - they need at least one win against
  probably EUN, CAN or SWE to be assured of at least a bronze.  But whatever
  happens, I'm extremely proud of how this team has performed and appreciative
  of all the fun they've brought me since I started following them back in
  the summer.  They deserve a grand reception when they return.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   mikem@{beanpot,bubba}.ma30.bull.com