From:
Lowell D King <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lowell D King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 1996 05:23:19 -0400
Reading the comments regarding the Div. I championships at Anaheim '99 reminds me of the definition of a conservative as someone who doesn't want to do anything for the first time!

Sure, the 'attendance' criteria for success may not be met, and may be greatly dependent on which schools make it to the nationals, the actual quality of tournament play, the extent and quality of the promotion effort, whether Disney is involved/interested or won't be, whether 'special' packages are created and ad infinitum. In other wards, it's a big risk (attendance wise). However, I don't think that this evaluation criteria is significant for determining success in a 'once in fifteen year' kind of event. With this so far from the 'home' of college hockey it certainly will stimulate increased interest in televising it. Another benefit will be to encourage the PAC 8 to more seriously consider elevating their current club teams to Division I conference level play. Lastly, it would be dramatic if we elevated the National Collegiate Hockey Championship from one paragraph to at least a full column in the L.A. Times Sports Section. And, remember that we're trying to penetrate the second largest metropolitan area
 in the country.

The bottom line is whether it's financially successful and I'm not aware of what guarantees were made to the NCAA (maybe someone else does). I do know that the driving force behind the bid was a small group of Southern California business people. What the basic objective is I don't know. It could be simply to see college hockey or it could be to facilitate extending college level hockey in the Southern California area or whatever. Certainly, one would assume that this group has some kind of special interest before they would be willing to invest the time, effort, and money necessary to sponsor such an event. Also, you would assume that the NCAA required some sort of minimum financial guarantee before the bid wouldn't been accepted.

Regardless, it'll be an unique event for college hockey. Although UAA has host responsibilities and veto rights on decisions, this will mostly be put together by the local business community which could provide the ingredients for a highly successful tournament or, on the other hand, maybe not. But, the long range results are what truly will determine whether this decision was beneficial or not. I do know that attending NHL games at the 'pond' is an experience far exceeding anything else in professional hockey and whether this carries over to college hockey I guess we'll just need to wait and see.

Lowell King