From:
Kurt Stutt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 19 May 1996 14:05:39 GMT
[log in to unmask] (Mike Machnik) wrote:

>>My
>>guess,  though,  is that hockey scholarships add to the count in whatever
>>sport the hockey players opt to do outside of hockey.   Sort of a double
>>bookkeeping.

>There is a chart in the NCAA Manual that explains this.  A quick synopsis:

>===
>FIGURE 15-3: Where to Count Student-Athletes Who Participate in More Than
>One Intercollegiate Sport (1996-97 Academic Year)

>DIRECTIONS: Start at 1, football, and keep going until you reach a sport in
>which the student-athlete participates.  Count the student-athlete in that
>sport.

>1. Football -> 2. Basketball -> 3. Ice Hockey -> 4. Women's Volleyball ->
>5. Women's Field Hockey -> ...

You know, this is a great place for a school that has a lousy football
program to "hide" scholarships for lesser sports.

For instance, say Whatsamatta U. is D1 and wants more than 18 hockey
players on scholarship.   Make them a punter or something and get them
on the football team, with full scholarship.  Then they can play
hockey and not have it count against the hockey scholarships.

This is probably covered somewhere else, a rule that you can't recruit
someone for a sport they don't play.  But maybe some athlete DOES play
football and hockey.  The potential for abuse is there.

I have a manual, but don't know where it is.  Is there anything that
addressess this possibility?

Kurt Stutt