From:
Lowell D King <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lowell D King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 1996 22:31:39 PDT
---------------Original Message---------------
With all this new talk about the Alaska schools and conference
jumping...does anyone have any figure$ on the actual costs of
traveling to Alaska?  I have heard in the past that, for example, it
is almost as expensive for Colorado College to get to Northern
Michigan as it is for them to get to Alaska.  At first glance, it
seems like the hotel cost couldn't be much more and air travel, well,
is kind of advanced these days plus the athletic departments book
these flights probably well in advance.  Anyway, enough speculation,
who's got the facts?

Andrew Rapoff
University of Wisconsin - Madison
----------End of Original Message----------

Transportation costs to Alaska would be little or nothing since both UAA and UAF buy the tickets for schools traveling up here. Lodging and meals would be somewhat greater since the schools typically travel on Thursday and return on midnight (early morning flights Sun). Also, the costs are a bit higher (say 20%). However, this cost would be dramatically offset by, presumable, the two or more extra home games that they get to play.

Yes, Colorado teams have a MUCH easier time getting here than to Northern Michigan. At the momemt, it's a short flight from Denver to Salt Lake City and non-stop to Anchorage (twice a day) from there. United may have a non-stop from Anchorage to Denver this winter (have had in the summer, but not the winter) so it may become even easier.

I asked why we don't use the non-stop flights from the midwest to bring teams up here and one problem was that they leave too early on Saturday night for the teams to finish the game and catch the flight. Also, they buy the tickets when specials are offered which has created problems when the airlines change schedules and, essentially, need to reschedule those passengers on other flights. This has resulted in complex and difficult travel - for example, Detroit, Cincinnati, Salt Lake, Seattle, and Anchorage. We complain, but it does little good. More normally, it's either back through Seattle or Salt Lake City, however this involves changing planes, some delay in getting a flight to Minneapolis, and for some teams another flight/bus to get home. This is a hassle! However, the financial benefits (profit) to the schools making the trip range from substantial to exceptional (Minn. & Wisconsin).

Personally, I think that the travel situation could be greatly improved (the major complaint about playing in Alaska). However, there are many entities involved, it gets complex, and becomes
bureaueratic in nature. Obliviously, the Alaska schools are going to obtain the cheapest tickets possible (we pay for nearly all teams in all sports to travel up here and most sports are non-profitable). Also, the frequent flyer mileage credits become very significant in regards to the overall travel cost budget which is, of course, rather extreme.

If this doesn't answer the question or you need more information, I would be happy to do whatever additional research might be needed to provide better answers.

Lowell King, Anchorage (UAA unofficial fan)