From:
Lowell D King <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lowell D King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 1996 00:53:19 PDT
---------------Original Message---------------
. . . . . . .
Lowell King talks about the travel itinerary of teams traveling to
Alaska and adds...
>Part of my life dealt with arranging the chartering of large aircraft
>including jets. I've often wondered why UAA and schools like Minn. and
Wisc.
>don't make greater use of this capability. Often, I'm sure that the booster
>clubs could fill out such a plane from here and that would solve many of
>commercial related travel problems.

  (1) It's my understanding that in the CCHA, UAF controls the
flight route.  They're paying for the tickets.  If they get a better deal
by having Michigan get to Fairbanks by way of Texas, then Michigan
goes through Texas.  Not sure if the same holds true for the UAA
and the WCHA or not.
  (2) My wife tried to get a charter flight for the fans from the Ann Arbor
area going to Fairbanks back in 1993-94.  We couldn't get anyone
to take us West of Wisconsin.  I'm sure we'll try again in 1996-97
with similar results.

That's interesting! I wonder if they get the frequent flyer miles also? I doubt if it's the same in the WCHA because the teams come by different routes so I suspect they arrange there own flights.

It's too bad the Commissioner's Office doesn't work a deal for the year's travel. I would think they could come up with greatly improved prices and arrangements if they sold it as a package.

For charter, I would try Reno Air (goes to the midwest as well as Fairbanks and Anchorage), United, and Northwest if you can't get a local operator to make the trip (not sure if this still holds true, but it use to be a requirement that the operator had previously landed at an airport before they can carry charter passengers -- depends under which FAA part number they operate). That may be the problem in getting a local operator to make the trip. Also, a single one time trip would be much more costly than a seasonal arrangement.

Lowell King