From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 1996 10:32:00 EDT
James T. Holden suggests...
>Eastern Conference
>        Michigan
>        Michigan State
>        Ferris State
>        Western Michigan
>        Bowling Green
>        Notre Dame
>        Miami of Ohio
>        Ohio State

So, you basically would like UAF and LSSU to join the WCHA
and for the CCHA to continue with eight teams. :-)

In regards to the Eastern Regional, a couple of brief comments
in partial rebuttal to Kurt Stutt's pro-Albany post.  Albany has hotels?
Where?  It was impossible to get near the Knick the last time we
were there.  Shopping?  Ugh.  I've walked around Albany, Boston,
Providence, etc (never been to Worcester, though) and I can say
that Albany simply isn't in the same world as the others, particularly
Boston.  The Knick is do-able, but what do you do with an off-day
in Albany?  Go as far away as you can.  From my experience, the
worst "hockey town" a major event has taken place in is Cincinnati.
The worst "city" to get stuck in (assuming you're coming in from out
of town and have a limited travel radius once you're there) is Detroit.
Albany finishes next to the bottom in both categories, IMO.

Lowell King talks about the travel itinerary of teams traveling to
Alaska and adds...
>Part of my life dealt with arranging the chartering of large aircraft
>including jets. I've often wondered why UAA and schools like Minn. and
Wisc.
>don't make greater use of this capability. Often, I'm sure that the booster
>clubs could fill out such a plane from here and that would solve many of
>commercial related travel problems.

  (1) It's my understanding that in the CCHA, UAF controls the
flight route.  They're paying for the tickets.  If they get a better deal
by having Michigan get to Fairbanks by way of Texas, then Michigan
goes through Texas.  Not sure if the same holds true for the UAA
and the WCHA or not.
  (2) My wife tried to get a charter flight for the fans from the Ann Arbor
area going to Fairbanks back in 1993-94.  We couldn't get anyone
to take us West of Wisconsin.  I'm sure we'll try again in 1996-97
with similar results.

John H ([log in to unmask])
It's just Miami, *not* Miami of Ohio.  Miami University (MU) if you
prefer.  That non-varsity hockey playing excuse for a school in
Florida is the University of.  By simply saying "Miami", you avoid
irritating the folks at MU and those of us not affiliated with the
Redskins who have a pet peeve about it (like myself).  In the same
regards, I'm making an effort to drop the Amherst from UMass
because that's what the good folks at UMass seem to prefer.
Thank you. :-)  (A smile as I step down from the soap box.)