From:
John Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 1996 00:14:46 -0400
April 21, 1996
Contact:  John Patterson, Hockey SID

***Three Star Players Sign Letters-of-Intent to Play***
***Ice Hockey at Ohio State***

     COLUMBUS, OH - Ohio State ice hockey coach John Markell announced
Thursday that three high school seniors have signed national
letters-of-intent to attend OSU and play ice hockey for the Buckeyes
beginning next fall. Signing with Ohio State were centers Hugo Boisvert
(St.-Eustace, Que., Cornwall Colts) and Louie Colsant (Palatine, Ill.,
Detroit Compuware Ambassadors) and defenseman Ryan Jestadt (Western Spring,
Ill., Springfield Junior Blues).
     Boisvert (6-0, 180 lbs., left shot) is the leading scorer in the
Central Ontario Junior League. In 54 games, he has 40 goals, 90 assists and
102 penalty minutes. He is also leading the league in playoff scoring.
Through 12 games, he has 14 goals, 15 assists and 28 penalty minutes. He is
the linemate of Eric Meloche, who signed with Ohio State during the early
signing period last fall. Meloche is the second leading scorer in the
league with 123 points (70G, 53A). Boisvert will wear number 12 for the
Buckeyes next fall.
     "Hugo is a very talented player," said Markell. "He is very calm with
the puck and works well with Eric Meloche. It's up to us as coaches to find
him a good winger. He should have an immediate impact on this program."
     Colsant (6-0, 175 lbs., right shot) is one of the premier centers in
the North American Hockey League. Despite missing most of the season due to
injury, the speedy center still picked up 27 goals and 10 assists. He
played for USA's Select-17 team last summer.
     "I wanted to come to Ohio State because I felt so comfortable with the
coaches," said Colsant. "We hit it off from day one. I'm very impressed
with John (Markell)'s NHL experience. I know I'll be able to step in and
play his style right away. I think I'll bring a lot of offensive help to
the team."
     "Louie Colsant is a young, talented centerman that has scored at every
level he's been at," said Markell. "We are looking at him to help
jump-start our offense."
     Ryan Jestadt (6-1, 195, left shot) is one of the toughest defensemen
in the North American Hockey League. He scored 48 points this year (4G,
44A) and was named to the league's All-Star team.
     "Ryan Jestadt brings size and speed to Ohio State," said Markell. "He
will certainly add a great deal of speed to our defensive corps. He is also
an older player who will be relied upon heavily in his first year."
     "Overall, we've recruited speed and skill," said Markell. "I feel
we've got one of the top recruiting classes in the nation."

     BUCKEYE BANQUET - The Ohio State ice hockey banquet will be held at
6:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 4, 1996, at the Fawcett Center.  Highlights of
the evening will include a prime rib dinner, team awards and a special
guest speaker. Tickets cost $20 and are available by calling (614)
292-0820.