From:
"Craig E. Knowles" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig E. Knowles
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 1996 20:56:55 EDT
In reading some HOCKEY-L articles on the siting of regional playoffs, it seemed
to me - correct me if am am wrong - that the NCAA doesn't mind siting these
games at host schools in the WCHA/CCHA but apparently will not do so in HE/ECAC.
In the east, it's almost as though an NCAA search committee was charged with
looking for a site (1) in a dumpy location, and (2) far away from most if not
all of the schools in the region.  Hence the choices of Worcester and Albany,
alternating year by year.  This is done, it seems, under the guise of not giving
any of the east teams a true home ice advantage.  In the west it appears not to
be a concern.  In other words the NCAA will turn a blind eye to the siting in
the west because the school facilities are large enough to host this event, and
then when it comes to the east they suddenly start posturing, have a
"conscience" attack and end up making some truly abominable selections.   Is
this solely due to the size of the schools involved in the west?  I have never
attended the west regionals or the finals, but I have made the east regionals 4
of the last 5 years.

My thoughts to remedy the situation, in the east anyway, is to award the east
regionals on a five  year basis to the Fleet Center in Boston.  World class
city, brand new facility, easy access for western fans via Logan airport, loads
of accomodations, close to many of the schools in HE/ECAC and plenty for the
fans to do before and after the games.  There is absolutely no way that
Worcester and especially Albany can even hold a candle to Boston.
HE-L-L-O-O-OO, NCAA,  ARE YOU LISTENING?  As for any NY fans that may feel
deprived, come to Boston and judge it for yourselves as a host city.  Would you
still think Albany can compete?  Boston has been described as a hotbed of
hockey.  Has anyone ever described Albany or even Worcester that way?  (I know.
Albany has the AHL River Rats and Worcester has the Ice Cats.  Ho-hum.)  Lest
any of you think I am just taking a cheap shot, I am not alone in my opinion:
An RPI alumnus friend of mine once described Albany as the a**hole of the
universe, with Troy ..... well, I won't say how many miles up.  If an alumnus
describes it this way,  who am I to say otherwise?  The terminally sensitive
need not reply.

Craig Knowles
UNH '71
GO BLUE!