From:
John-Andrew Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John-Andrew Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 15:02:41 EST
I'm not sure about this whole argument concerning college names, but it
seems to me that the distinctions are made according to the state's main
campus, as was pointed out. In Indiana, the Hoosiers are at IU-Bloomington,
a campus more well known simply as, "IU" or "Indiana". Other IU schools have
athletics. They just call themselves "IU-South Bend", "IU-Terre Haute" or
whatever. Granted, these schools don't compete at the same level of IU-
Bloomington. But the principle is the same. SUNY offers something a bit
different. Since there really isn't a central SUNY school, the schools are
often referred to as "___ State", or "SUNY ___". Even Albany and Buffalo, two
schools with DI football programs are commonly known as "Albany State" and
"UB" respectively. The hoopla with Amherst and Lowell is interesting, but
will ultimately be worked out. Why not be "Amherst State" or "Lowell State"?
And I'm not sure making a distinction between the two is all that troublesome.
Maybe I'm missing something here. But school pride appears to be the real
subtext to this contraversy.

John-Andrew Murphy