From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 11:34:00 EDT
Speaking mostly for myself and partly for UM, I'd say that
Michigan will stake claim to "C-YA!" but little else.  In one
fans opinion...

  --  "It's all your fault!  It's all your fault!" was arguably dreamed
up by the UM faithful, but it wasn't first done in Ann Arbor.  I.e.,
we thought of it but we didn't know that someone else had
already thought of it.
  --  All of the variations of "sieve", "hey ____, it's your mother..."
and the black hole cheer were picked up throughout college
hockey.  I heard all of them elsewhere before hearing them
at Yost.
  --  "How...much...time...is...left?!" is a mystery to me.  I don't
remember hearing it outside of Yost.  It *seems* like it's been
around Yost for at least as long as I have (1987-88), but I
could be wrong.
  --  The variations on "Goalie!  Sieve!  Goalie!  Sieve!" are
all team specific.  These have grown to the point where the
novelty has worn off.  (Btw, for those unfamiliar this is done
by pointing at your goalie and yelling "Goalie!", then pointing
at the opposing goalie and yelling "Sieve!"  It gets bouncing
back and forth rather quickly.)  For example, whenever the PA
announcer responds to the crowd's "thank you" with a "your
welcome", everyone chants "Announcer!  Sieve!  Announcer!
Sieve!"  When the pep band director does his dance during
the third period it's "Dancer!  Sieve!..."  When seafood hits the
ice it's "Octopi!  Sieve!..."  I imagine that most schools do
similar things for the situation at hand.
  --  The serious of expletives following the "C-YA!" is distinctly
Michigan.  In fact, these have actually branched out into
variations so you have one group of students yelling "!@#$%"
and another group hollering "^&*?~".  It becomes a garbled
bunch of noise.

Btw...Michigan is still one of the parties that claims to have started
the wave.  Regardless of the origin, UM was certainly one of the
first 2-3 places where the wave was being done.  What UM can
claim almost without question is variations such as the variable
speed wave and the two-directional wave.

C-YA...

John H ([log in to unmask])
106,000 people doing a variable speed wave is something to see.