From:
"McArdle, Tom" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
McArdle, Tom
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 16:51:45 -0500
-- [ From: McArdle, Tom * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Date: Tuesday, 09-Apr-96 10:09 AM

Subject: OUR game

"At these big schools hockey isn't even the major spectator port, with the
exception of Minnesota.  Even hockey mad Wisconsin was more excited about
its recent success at basketball, and of course football.  I can't imagine
these seven schools providing a base from which college hockey would grow.
I don't even think they would want to."

##############################  ouch!   Hockey IS a major sport in Madison!
The athletic dept. expects
the same contribution as it does for basketball and/or football if you want
great seats for the Friday night OR
Saturday night series.  Basketball and football packages include all games,
not just half of them.

With ground breaking soon for the new Kohl Center, basketball and hockey
could share the same facility at
Wisconsin...and there won't be an empty seat when either the boards or
backboards at in place.  Just stand
outside the Dane County Coliseum some sub-zero night and try and buy a
ticket for a WCHA game, you'll
find the pickin's slim, just as it is outside Camp Randall for football and
the Old Fieldhouse for basketball
(men's and women's teams).

Hockey does provide a chance for schools of many different sizes and
traditions to compete on an equal footing.  This years final when down the
wire between the largest (Michigan) and one of the smallest (Col.
College) institutions in the sport.  I'll never see that disparity in the
other major NCAA finals.  This year the
big kid finally won, but you can't depend on size to pick the winner.

Too bad Sports Illustrated doesn't cover us, but that's no big loss.  There
are other sources for the information
we all need and want...with HOCKEY-L being a great way to follow the sport.
And with expanded cable lines
feeding much of the nation, new sports networks will increase coverage for
those unable to make it to the
arena.  It's better than it was a decade ago and I expect the future to
continue improving.

Tom McArdle
On Wisconsin