From:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 13:58:41 -0400
I said I would study some more, and here I am.  The same place as where
I started from.  Despite what people have written to me about, I am
going to stick to my guns.  (Some more good reading for you Adam)

So here we are again with some other comments.

1. Vermont      (This is their year.  Maturity, Thomas in goal, St. Louis
and Perrin up front, more Flying Frenchmen coming in, and the New York
Rangers blessing their ice in the preseason.  It's all there)

I still say disappointment from last season abounds, though they lost defense,
they will still win this conference, but in a dogfight, and with no more
then 28 points.

2. Clarkson     (Great returning class, but need to establish scoring.  Mark
Morris is THE coach in the ECAC)

There is no doubt here, and I think you'll see George Roll find a head coaching
position somewhere, I'm surprised he hasn't been snapped up yet.

3. Colgate      (Great sophmore class, seniors returning are now experienced,
Lake Placid return)

See Vermont 94-95.  A surprise and great freshmen class, but I think the
expectations are too high, and they will cave, but not by much.

4. Harvard      (Tracy will be better, they will miss Martins, but others
pick up the slack)

I think Tracy can also be counted on more as a two a weekend gamer.  That was
his weakpoint last year.

5. St. Lawrence (The real sleeper.  They have experience up front in Murphy,
the best defensive forward in the ECAC this year in Prpic, a young defense,
and Bracco with experience.  They could even be higher.)

I really like this team.  I mean really like them.  But they have to get
consistent.

6. Brown        (Hungrier after last year, but lost some weapons.  Let's
see how good of a coach Gaudet really is)

I think he's a great coach.  But a lot more speed in the ECAC now, and the
defensive style will have to change.

7. Princeton    (The sophmore class is spectacular.  Plus they have more
experience, but not enough to vault yet)

I think again expectations are a little high.  They lose Sharp who was
a key, and Kopeck.  I think they have no trouble scoring, but letting
goals....

8. Cornell      (A lot of seniors, with a new coach, better attitude and
better season)

Could suprise.  But then again we've said this for the last 3 or 4 seasons.

9. RPI          (Lost a lot in scoring, 1 weapon left.  Can you say "trap"
if you play RPI?) (More on them in a few weeks)

How do freshmen fit in?  Is Mike Tamburro really a Hobey candidate?  People
are expectating WAY too much from RPI this year.

10. Dartmouth   (Some good returnees who showed something towards the end.
Second trip to the playoffs since 81)

Back in the playoffs, with good reason, but will struggle with growing pains.

11. Union       (Hopefully the freshman will pan out, and they can score
sometime, otherwise Achilles will be a bad place to be)

I see maybe 1 or 2 bright spots for the Dutchmen, but not much else.

12. Yale        (Not many of last years great points left.  Hopefully some
that return will make impact)

I see nothing that will make Yale come out of last place.

Some other predictions for people to ponder:
(Top 3 contenders, in my mind)

Player of the Year:

Martin St. Louis (Vermont), Eric Perrin (Vermont), Mike Harder (Colgate)

Defensive Forward of the Year:

Joel Prpic (St. Lawrence), Ryan Mulhern (Brown)Earl Cronan (Colgate)

Defensive Defenseman of the Year:

Steve Wilson (Cornell), Brad Dexter (Colgate), Jason Smith (Princeton)

Coach of the Year:

Mike Gilligan (Vermont), Don Vaughn (Colgate), Joe Marsh (St. Lawrence)

Rookie of the Year:

Matt Garver (RPI), Craig mcDonald (Harvard), Jason Givens (Princeton)
(You really got me, this is just a sample, I threw names in a hat)

And I think that this year an ECAC team will win more than 1 NCAA tourney
game.

* Jayson Moy  RPI '89 '93  *  One of the Voices of Rensselaer Engineer      *
* [log in to unmask]             *  Hockey, Baseball, Football, and Basketball    *
* The "Asian Invasion"     *  on Crystal Clear 91.5FM  WRPI, Troy *EASM*    *