From:
"Jason W. Roy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason W. Roy
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 1996 20:52:37 -0600
On Tue, 12 Mar 1996, Dave Fischer, MTU SID wrote:

> Michigan Tech has no plans whatsoever to leave the WCHA.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave Fischer

  I think everybody's jumped the gun..on the MTU/NMU--> CCHA thing.
Hockey wise I think Tech is better to stay in the WCHA and hope they do, I
have no idea about attracting downstate students  from Michigan.  The fact
is: Tech recruits a lot from  Northern Ontario and Western Canada and I
think, they have done quite well at it.  They also get a lot from the
USHL and the Metro Toronto leagues.

  I think one of the positives about the WCHA is the scheduling...
I could be wrong, but doesn't the WCHA play the most games on average
than any other conference.  38-40  games is still not that many games to
develop in a season. I would think that this is a key reason why some
hockey players choose the WCHA.  I would like to see it move up to about 45.
I don't now if this is possible with the education thing, but it would be
nice to see, maybe start earlier in the season.
I also like the way the WCHA plays a weekend series against an opponent
opposed to 1 game here and 1 game somewhere else the next night.  The
CCHA also plays games during the week, which is because they are closer
together.

 I'm not trying to say the WCHA is better than the CCHA or any other
league. I'm also not saying the competition is beter in one than the other
either. The WCHA has pluses and minuses, but I hope Tech stays in the
WCHA.

 If they did move though, I would be quite content with the 1 ref
system....far better than 2.

 NMU is talking about it, but Tech isn't.  Maybe NMU would be the only
team to leave.

  Can the League or NCAA force Tech to move if they are happy in the
WCHA?
  If they did move, when would it happen?
  Is moving Leagues usually a smooth transformation or will it take a few
years to settle in?

--Not trying to start a whoose better war----

Jason Roy
University of Manitoba