From:
Robin Lock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robin Lock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 22:16:47 EST
Given the existing criteria, I think the committee got the right 12 teams
for the NCAA tourney.

But the ECAC didn't miss getting a third team in by very much.  I leave it
to somebody else to crunch the numbers, but I wonder if...

(a) Princeton had won the consolation game  OR
(b) The ECAC consolation game hadn't even been played OR
(c) Willie Mitchell's "miracle shot" from the red line became a routine save OR
(d) Ohio State had played a consolation vs. Michigan State OR
(e)  etc. etc.

Things were very tight at the "bubble" with Notre Dame, Rensselaer, and
Princeton each just a bounce away from making it, while Northern Michigan,
Michigan, and Ohio State each get enough bounces to get in (did OSU
really hit 8 posts against Michigan?).  The lack of transitivity allows a
case to be made for lots of scenarios (for example, Clarkson, SLU, Princeton,
and Rensselaer all beat OSU in head-to-head PWR - so four ECAC teams should
be in before getting to OSU).  Putting together all such cases would argue
for at least 16 teams making it - without even getting to the Quinnipiac
situation.  It would have been nice to see a balanced field with three teams
from each of the established leagues making it, but that didn't quite work
out this year.

A final comment on the seedings for the West regional (my apologies if this
has already been covered).  I was puzzled at first why St. Lawrence was put
at the 6th seed, when PWR, RPI, and even CHODR would not put them as the last
team.  Similarly, Colorado College would seem a bit out of place as the three
seed, once BC has been shipped out West.  Is it possible that CC-SLU is
really the 4 vs. 5 game, while BC-NMU is 3 vs. 6, but the seedings are switched
to avoid the possibilities for CC-N. Dakota and NMU-Mich. St. in the second
round?  If that is the case, I would sympathize with some of the folks who
believe that BC got a tough draw. Also, the chance for a Mich. St. - SLU
match-up would give the possibility for an extended 0-0 game (CHODR's clear
#1 defense vs. Hobey hopeful Heffler).

Robin Lock
St. Lawrence University