From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 11:28:21 -0500
>I was a charter subscriber to SI.  They had an sizeable article about a
>BB game that I attended which had nothing to do with what I saw.  I was among
>the first to fail a subscription renewal.
>
>It may be in hockey's best interest to not appear there.
>
>-glen-

I recently read 'The Franchise", the chronicling of the history of SI.
It's a pretty fascinating book and gives some good insights as how the mag
has evolved over the years.  While they have always been THE player in
sports journalism, I'm afraid they have lost the battle of immediacy to
ESPN and, unless they do a better job of research, they will lose the
battle of insight as well.  I had a professor back in my student days tell
me that when one reads an article in Time magazine from a position of
knowledge on the subject at hand, the innacuracies published are appalling.
I believe she was speaking of the mideast at the time, but it probably
still holds true today.

Greg Ambrose