From:
Craig Lisko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 12:11:04 -0500
Of course everyone has read the e-mails regarding th rigors that each
student-athlete must endure. I do however notice one consistent "gripe".
Everyone thinks that their institution is better than the next and that the
education here is better than there.

But let's take a look at the argument at hand. Developing hockey players
with educations is not an easy task.

From my experience, as a student, I knew how much time was devoted to
practice and how much time was devoted to hockey. I was one of those
students who thought, "I might be good enough to give the pros and good
try, but if it doesn't work out, then what", ah...education.

I loved my playing time at Ferris and enjoyed mediocre success, but I am
most proud of the fact of getting my bachelor's and master's there. Those
cannot be taken away.

I don't have the exact statistics, but I would love to know of all college
players, on the roster, what percentage make the pros (NHL, AHL, IHL),
let's leave out the ECHL, CHL etc.

Once again it all comes down to choices that these young men must make. Do
I try to become the best hockey player and play hockey until I'm 30-35, or
do I strive for academic success that can never be taken away. The guys
know that their schedules are busy, but for anyone who attempts to use the
argument that there is not enough time to develop athletically or
academically is sorely mistaken. There is ample time for both.

One of the best lessons I learned at college was time management. There are
24 hours in a day.
8 for sleep, 4 for hockey, 4 for class, 2 for travel time, rest, 2 for
eating all meals, that leaves 4 hours left to the student-athlete.

Is college hockey a tough road to take, sometimes, but the individual makes
it tougher or easier.
Its really up to them.

Craig Lisko
Ferris State 1990-1994