From:
"Greg R. Berge" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg R. Berge
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 13:00:02 -0400
> Here is an interesting case.  Miami's star scorer last year, Randy
> Robitialle, left school after his Sophomore year this spring to play
> with the Boston Bruins.  After he an injury in his first shift ended
> his season, he has returned to Miami to finish the year.  This goes to
> show that there are still good kids out there who actually want to
> learn.  Maybe he'll take enough summer classes to get his degree
> sometime in the future.

Nothing against Mr. Robitaille, but what this shows is that there are
student-athletes who turn this into a cost-benefit analysis.  At the end of
the season he had the opportunity to jump for a lot of money.  He did.
After his injury he had the opportunity to continue to progress towards a
degree which will help him finanically after hockey.  He did.

These are both perfectly reasonable decisions, and I think if I were in
Robitaille's position and at his age I would have followed the same course.

- Greg Berge