From:
Daniel Olsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Daniel Olsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 13:45:15 -0400
Classification:

I'm glad John noted how interesting these games could become.  Granted the
league won't get much respect, but its teams will now get the opportunity to
compete for a league title against teams that are growing just like they are.
Indeed, the better teams in the new league might pull off a few suprises.  It
can be well documented that teams that develop a "winning attitude" will very
often frustrate the more talented team.  For any college B-Ball fans, a couple
of these "small conference" teams from years' past might ring a bell:  Richmond
(sorry SU), UWGB, College of Charleston.  All of these teams had little respect
going into the NCAA tournament (except College of Charleston who did manage to
get some with their winning streak), but managed to upset Goliath, sometimes
even twice.

The advantage that Union and Merrimack had is in recruiting, as they belonged
to a "major" conference.  Players that may not have received scholarships at
Cornell, Michigan, UND, or BU, might be inclined to accept an a Union or
Merrimack to prove themselves at that level of competition.

Regards,
Dan Olsen

IBM Global Services, Managed Operations North
CSR, Fishkill Building 504
IBM Mail:  DOLSEN @ IBMUS or IBMUSM00(DOLSEN)
Internet Mail:  [log in to unmask]

        04-07-97 01:17 PM