Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 19:21:17 -0600
On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Ralph N. Baer wrote:

> Not that I have any intention of betting on the NC$$ tourney, but I seem
> to recall that last year the odds that someone posted also seemed to be
> skewed to the better known schools.  One could probably make money over a
> number of years with odds that seem to be as ill-informed as these.  (Please
> note that I am NOT saying that I think that Michigan shouldn't be favored,
> only that some of the other teams odds are way off, as Greg stated.)

Bear in mind that the early odds represent the expected behavior of the
bettors, and the later ones reflect bets made to that point.  The idea
is to keep the bets even enough that the books can make something regardless
of who wins.

> One more thought, could these possibly have been odds from before the season
> started, especially since LSSU was included?

I remember seeing a preseason line somewhere; it's possible that it's
still floating around...

|   Michael Patrick Bresina   |     America's always had a problem     |
|  [log in to unmask]  |  with illegal aliens.  Ask any Indian. |
|           Common sense is what tells us the world is flat.           |
|             I don't judge a man by the color of his skin;            |
|            I judge him by his choice of internet provider.           |
|  I'm not an elevator boy, though I play one in some people's karma.  |