From:
"Kevin B. Powers" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin B. Powers
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 09:42:28 -0500
On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, Varnum, Paul wrote:

> The Michigan Chants of You just Suck!!! are not the worst things I've
> heard, but I believe what is worse still is the timing of the chants.
> They seem to yell this at the opposing goalie after each goal.  I
> attended the Finals in Cincinnati last March.  The Final was a very
> close hard fought battle with excellent goal tending on both sides.
> When Michigan finally scored up went the It's all your fault, you just
> SUCK cheers. The goal was actually a result of great offensive pressure
> by Michigan.  I believe they should have been cheering their team
> instead of jeering a goalie that played a great game.  Maybe it's just
> that the Bandwagon has been filled with football fans  that are trying
> to fill up Saturday's during the offensive and really don't know when to
> cheer and when to jeer.  It seemed that all the Michigan student section
> wanted to do was jeer when they have the best team in the country and
> should really spend more time cheering.
>
> Fire away!!

Right On Paul!!

I've had season tickets to Union College for the 4 previous season, and
the only time I've cheer against them is when they play my alma mater
(Clarkson).

It appears that the best know chant at Achillies Rink is <school name>
SUCKS. Winning or losing, it doesn't matter.  When the visiting teams fan
start to cheer (sometimes creatively) for their team (Brown, Clarkson,
Cornell(?), Rensselaer have all brought bands) the chants intensify.
Directed at both the team and the fans.

Of course other schools have added the YOU SUCK chant to their
standard list of cheers (or jeers).  For example, Clarkson does the OooooK
and <school name> still SUCKS at the announcement of the last minute of the
period.  Rensselaer does the stomp and you SUCK during the pre-game
announcement of each visiting player.  And so on...

It's just a matter of taste and creativity.

Is it going to change....no.   It just me on a soapbox.

Thanks for listening/Kevin