From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 11:48:18 -0500
Mike wrote about a kinder and gentler NCAA, including ...
> But even though USA Hockey did provide incorrect information, and even
> though the Dunhams perhaps should have known to seek out answers from a
> "professional", there isn't any evidence to suggest that they deliberately
> avoided getting those answers or acted with knowledge of the rules.

I'm not sure that "knowledge of the rules" would have helped the
Dunham's.  I do suspect that a thorough reading of the NCAA Manual
would provide no conclusive evidence as to whether the payment was OK
or disallowed.  A thorough knowledge of the origin and purpose of the
payment and the NCAA rules might be another matter, but that's why,
IMHO, that Mike's suggestion of going to the appropriate professional
is so important.  Recognizing when to go is then the challenge!  :-)

Mike's suggestion of parents/players going directly to the school
Compliance Office cannot be overemphasized.

Even they will make mistakes occasionally, but that is the first and
maybe only reliable method.  This is a complex area (eligibility and
activities affecting eligibility) and one that cannot be well
understood by most of us college hockey fans, IMHO.  Certainly we've
seen many, many such instances in the (U Maine) trial by fire.   :-(

Back on the subject of this article ...

I am as a sports fan and Maine hockey fan, of course, extremely pleased
with this decision, as I think it completely appropriate for all the
reasons given.  But at the same time I am stunned and amazed.

There is no precedence for this decision.  Common sense, knowledge
(ignorance), (un)importance, etc. have played no part in previous
decisions.  Maine's high-paid ($500,000+, by some accounts) law firm
could find no precedent.  It would be very interesting to hear the
NCAA (Council?) committee members talk about this and how they see the
long-term effect.

This morning on local sports-radio (WZON - Bangor) Dan Hannigan said
that this decision wasn't very important, as the players and fans knew
what happened on the ice ... that the reduction of athletic
scholarships and 1996-97 ban from the NCAA post-season is more
important.  I disagree!  People will not remember the missed
opportunities of fewer scholarships and one more NCAA (and perhaps
HOCKEY EAST) tournament, but the 1993 NCAA Championship is something
that will remain with the program forever.  Anyone that was at all
associated with that team is certainly proud of them and their
accomplishments.

Yours in college hockey,
wayne

Wayne T. Smith                 [log in to unmask]
Systems Group -- CAPS          University of Maine System
Co-owner of the College Hockey mailing lists