From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 1996 18:15:45 -0400
On 27 Jul 96 at 17:25, Mike Machnik wrote:

> Interesting, but not really relevant.  What qualifies as a dominant
> group dictating what is acceptable?  The evidence shows that MU did
> not fit your description, because rather than tell the tribe what
> they would do, MU and the tribe worked together to decide on the
> best plan of action.

Does anyone have any specifics on this "agreement"?  I'd be
interested to see if money changed hands from Miami to the tribe.
In other words, did Miami pay for the use of Redskins?  If this is
the case, this could be even more reason for a new government to be
offended because MU would have effectively "bought off" the tribe.
But that's just speculation, and until we see the exact agreement
there is no way to know.. and may never be anyway to know if money
was exchanged under the table.  To some natives selling out your
culture is extremely offensive, so it can't be ruled out.

> And how many offended people does it take for a nickname to be
> deemed unacceptable?  A majority?  25%?  One?  No group of people,
> be it social, racial, or political, completely agrees among
> themselves.  I hope it is not your argument that even if a majority
> of the Miami tribe were happy with the former agreement, a small
> group of people who are not happy with it should take precedence
> over *both* the tribe as a whole and the university.

This is an interesting question, but I don't think there is an answer
except that the new tribal government thinks it is offensive, and it
is their right to decide that.  I don't think it's fair to suggest
these people are trying to make political gains without having the
facts.  We've agreed that some natives think Redskins is offensive,
some don't.. how do we know that this new council wasn't elected for
what they stand for, perhaps even on this issue.  The point is these
people were elected as the tribal government, and just like when the
republicans took over Congress, they are going to try and make the
changes they feel are best for the tribe and it's not up to us to
agree with what they decide, but to respect their right to decide
it.
---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
Orono, Maine