From:
John Davenport <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Davenport <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 1996 14:37:16 -0400
I was hoping I'd stay out of this one, but it didn't work.

On Fri, 26 Jul 1996, D.B. Erickson wrote:

[UMass-Amherst comments deleted]

> The current situation at Miami is certainly not the same, but similar.  Is
> there basis, beyond mere attention-seeking, for a change?  Does Miami present
> their mascot as some sort of parody?  Is the "Redskin" portrayed as a
> barbaric savage?  Or are alums and present students/faculty/admin using this
> "mascot" as a symbol of courage, bravery, and honor?  To the best of my
> knowledge, "NO" to the first of my three posits, and "YES" to the last.

This situation is not anything similar to that at UMass.  Sure, there
have been groups for years (really the first major impetus was when
EasternMichigan dropped their 'Hurons' nickname in late 1990) that have
disapproved loudly of the Redskins moniker, but the administrations
(which have been changing so quickly I can't believe there wasn't a coup)
have always put down such notions.  The Miami Tribe has always, until
now, approved of the nickname.  They enjoy their relationship with the
university, and have mentioned a number of times how they feel proud to
be displayed so honorably in the logo of the school's sports teams.

That has now, of course, changed.  Were this the case of EMU, and our
nickname were the name of the tribe, I don't think the tribe would be
asking for a change; they definitely wish to have a Native American
reference associated with the school, so I don't think we'll be seeing
another Red Storm, or Orangemen (Syracuse was also the Redmen at one
point), etc.  The problem is that 'Miami Miamis' sounds really dumb.

The point of this is that no one is 'kowtowing to every self-interest
group'.  The special interest groups have always lost at MU, but since we
are in a reasonably unique situation of sharing our name with the group
who know wishes the change, their opinions MUST be considered very seriously.

I just hope they can come up with a name that both retains a Native
American feel and also sounds better in a chant thean "Let's go
NativeAmericans Let's Go!!"  :)

--
John Davenport
Miami University '94