Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 1996 17:12:44 -0500
On Tue, 23 Apr 1996, Howard M. Quimby wrote:

> While I really don't see why UMass people have a problem with Amherst
> appearing after their name, lets not forget that the "A" came to be because
> Maine was UM and Lowell was UML in Hockey East.  It only made sense for Umass
> to be UMA.   I suppose the league and the rest of the hockey fans in the
> northeast could bow to the wishes of UMass and drop the Amherst, but I'm going
> to side with clarity on this one.  You are, after all, in Amherst!   And even
> if the Globe didn't report it, you played Lowell three times.  ;)

Perhaps they don't want to be reminded that they're in Amherst.  :)

I'm surprised that the precedent argument gets much support.  Imagine
if Rosa Parks had felt constrained in this way.  (or Mike Legg, for
that matter)  Leadership and innovation require a willingness to
throw off the shackles of the past.

As one who refers to "Madison", "Berkeley" and "Chapel Hill" (as well as
the East Rutherford Giants and the Irving Cowboys), I prefer distinctive
and descriptive names over marketing terms.

|   Michael Patrick Bresina   |     America's always had a problem     |
|  [log in to unmask]  |  with illegal aliens.  Ask any Indian. |
|      The Rendezvous Online Service      |           telnet           |
|          Interactive TradeWars!         |       205.243.194.68       |
|           Common sense is what tells us the world is flat.           |