Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 1996 19:31:52 -0500
> Greg Gdowski writes:
> > Somehow this list never changes.
> > This argument comes up every year.
>
> > What is an athletic scholarship?  Is it a free ride to attend college
> > or sports camp?  It would seem monetary rewards are always the guide
> > to ones career choice (at least in this common scenario).
>
> > I only have one problem with it... It is a free ride to attend college.
> > Make these future rich kids who dont give a real damn about completing
> > their degree, pay back their entire scholarship so that someone who really
> > needs it and values a degree can attend.

Let's not let the REAL culprits off the hook!  Those ingrates who not only
don't graduate but also fail to give their universities the opportunity
for free publicity by playing professionally.  These jerks deliberately
play well in college and fill the arenas, the better to let everyone down
when the planned fizzle comes.

The colleges need all the money they can get so they can admit the
50% or so of non-athletic freshmen who will never be able to donate
because they can't hack or can't afford higher education.

While we're at it, let's compensate the print media for the space wasted
on these losers, and the broadcasters for the time spent learning how
to pronounce their names.  The students who lost time to study because
of the need to insult the "outsiders" should also recieve some
consideration.

> Yes, bravo..great idea.  How hard would this be to put into the scholarships?
> Especially in the basketball world (Iverson), and football.  Let these future
> millionares who obviously aren't in the official alumni club (don't graduate)
> who may or may not EVER give a red cent back to their schools....MAKE THEM
> CONTRACTUALLY  repay their education if they DO NOT COMPLETE their degree in
> a specified amount of time.
>
> It seems like it would be legal and straight-forward, but maybe it isn't.
> Could a school write their scholarship contracts that way?

You can bet the NC$$$$$$$ wouldn't lift a finger to stop them.

|   Michael Patrick Bresina   |     America's always had a problem     |
|  [log in to unmask]  |  with illegal aliens.  Ask any Indian. |
|      The Rendezvous Online Service      |           telnet           |
|          Interactive TradeWars!         |       205.243.194.68       |
|           Common sense is what tells us the world is flat.           |