From:
Kurt Stutt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 02:01:15 GMT
[log in to unmask] (Cheryl A. Morris) wrote:

>Matt from RPI asks why the ECAC plays a fewer number of games than the WCHA.

>Because that's all they are allowed to play.  The ECAC has established a
>limitation of a maximum of 32 games that any team can play.  The Ivies subscribe
>to a lower number, which I believe is 30.

It's 29.

>The number of games was increased
>only recently from 28, which, I believe, was done as an incentive to the
>Engineers to stay put.

It was increased from 30.  Whether it was done as an incentive to keep
RPI in the ECAC is open to debate.

>There was also some mention about a TV coverage for the
>ECAC, but I don't think there were any ECAC games televised the past season.

Yes, the RPI game at Cornell was televised, on ESN I believe.  There
were others.

>Regardless, I don't think that the "incentives" offered to RPI for them to re
>remain in the league made much of a difference.  RPI will stay ECAC, now and
>forever.

Once Buddy left, the desire to leave for Hockey East evaporated.  RPI
was staying, incentives or no.  However, the threat of RPI leaving may
have forced the ADs in the ECAC to address issues other schools,
besides RPI, were also concerned about, such as the 30 game limit.

>BTW, has anyone seen anything more about that alledged ECAC/HE scheduling deal?

Haven't been looking.

>Finally, please, don't split the ECAC into divisions.  The Engineers schedule
>is bad enough as it is without increasing the number of traditional, boring
>opponents that are featured each year.  I'm not even sure if that Union/RPI
>deal will result in much of a rivalry.

They can't sell out the Field House for an RPI-Union game, I don't see
how they expect to do well at the Knick.  Not when local hockey fans
can have more fun (from an entertainment standpoint) at a River Rats
game.

> Personally I'd rather see a bunch of
>NC games on the schedule, especially one or two home and home deals with the
>Western schools.  Also, please bring back BU!

You'll get one of your wishes.

Kurt Stutt