From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 1996 16:02:52 -0600
Erik quoth:
>Jack Berenzweig writes:
>
>><< I enjoy listening to Bob Norton, too.  Rather than compare him to Dick
>>Vitale (yuck!), I think of him as the Dick Button of college hockey.
>>

>>Maybe its my own personal bias, but comparing Bob Norton to Dick Button is an
>>insult to Bob Norton, rather than a compliment.
>
>Perhaps I should have provided a context for my comment; it was not meant as
>an insult.  There has already been more than enough Norton-bashing.  I
>thought it was an appropriate comparison.  Button and Norton both have
>lifelong commitments to their respective sports, and it shows in their
>announcing styles.  They both have knowledge about the individual athletes,
>often gained from watching them develop from the earliest stages.  They both
>fill the role of good-will ambassador for their sports.  And, OK, they can
>both be a bit long-winded at times.  ;-)  I like them both, anyway.

I agree.  And I'll add this description of Dick Button:  he certainly has
his favorites, but during the competition, he's rooting for EVERY skater
out there to do well.  (As I've heard it put: "he's out there skating with
them.")  I don't get enough chance to listen to Bob Norton, but wonder if
this isn't true of him also.

They also both, as Jack's response indicates, share a common trait with
Dick Vitale:  anyone who has listened to them for any amount of time seems
to develop a strong opinion of them! :-)  Love 'em or hate 'em...

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!!!
Ski-U-Mah!!!