From:
TerryTuschen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TerryTuschen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 1996 14:09:00 CST
On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, Zac R. Halter wrote:
>From what I have read in anyone's posts (mine included) regarding ESPN's
>coverage, no one was saying that Mr. Norton doesn't know his hockey.
>However, I felt he was a bit out of place for the championship game.
>Specifically, I felt his comments during the game indicated that he had a
>greater knowledge of UM than CC.  In future games, perhaps adding a
>rink-side >commentator from a network that regularly covers the leagues
>involved would >have created a more insightful dialogue.

Zac was writing in reference to Mark Sonnier's comments:

I agree with Zac, in that no one was saying Mr. Norton doesn't know his
hockey.  I especially didn't mean my post that way.  I feel sort of
responsible for escalating the Bob Norton discussion, when actually I meant
to express my desire for ESPN to promote College Hockey more, especially
during the one token telecast given to college hockey per year.  Mark had a
good idea in having color com's from the participating schools there, perhaps
as rink side commentators, which might tone down or offset any "regionality"
that might show up inadvertantly.

One of our friends from Lake State suggested that ESPN could easily (and
fairly inexpesivley) promote NC$$ College Hockey on the weekends, by simply
running the scores on the bottom of the screen, or even having "the deuce"
show some regional games.  I thought ES$$2 could easily find time for a
"game of the week", and that wouldn't interfere with the aligator wrestling
it occasionally shows.

NC$$ womens b-ball has really increased in popularity, due to a lot of
promotion.  And college hockey might benefit with some promotion from those
same sources.

Yours,

Terry E. Tuschen Jr.

University of Wisconsin-Madison                   WISCONSIN BADGERS
Space Science and Engineering            NCAA DIV. 1 Mens Ice Hockey Champions
McIDAS Archive                            1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 1997?
(608) 265-5577                                      ON WISCONSIN!
[log in to unmask]                           "A great day for hockey!"