From:
Anthony Frolik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anthony Frolik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 1996 08:07:07 -0600
On Tue, 2 Apr 1996, Todd D. Milewski wrote:

> I'd just like to add something to the discussion of goalposts, and how
> they're held to the ice.  The Bradley Center uses something I've never seen
> anywhere else.  The plastic "thing" (for lack of a better word) is neither
> attached to the goal nor the ice.  I know this because I've seen the thing
> come out of the ice and the post.
> Has anyone ever seen these before, and can shed some light on what good this
> would do?  I assume they will they have to change this for next year's Final
> Four, along with the lines on the ice, which are at pro measurements for the
> Admirals.

Well, from my experience in working at the DECC, I finally feel qualified
to answer a question. (Woohoo!)  We must use the same system.  There is a
hole drilled into the ice, and probably into the concrete underneath.  In
fact, thinking about how long the post is, it has to be into the
concrete.  When the Zamboni goes around, there is a plug inserted into
the hole, approximately 2" in diameter. (It's really high tech, a piece
of foam with duct tape wrapped around it.  It could be taped smoother,
but it does the job.)  Anyway, when the Zamboni is done, the maintenance
type person goes out with a big screwdriver and pulls the plug out, chips
away any ice that obstructs the hole, and throws the red, semi-hard
plastic pipe in the hole.  The pipe is probably 6-8" long and hollow, but
the plastic is flexible enough to give, even when I tried to bend it with
my pipe-cleaner arms.  Anyway, the pipe sticks out of the hole, and then
goes into the hole in the bottom of the goalpost.  So in short, the pipe
isn't attached to anything.  I am sure there are different systems out
there, but that's what's used in Duluth for college hockey.  (Don't even
get me started on the high school system, what a joke!)

Tony

--
Anthony J. Frolik                            University of Minnesota Duluth
Go Bulldogs!                                  16-15-1 WCHA, 20-17-1 Overall