From:
Paula Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paula Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 22:25:59 -0500
 "Barkan, Jon" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>First, the ice thing. Yes, it was a pain in the butt. Yes, it was a
>distraction. But it shouldn't be what is remembered most about our trip to
>Cincy. The ice was the same for all teams and there were three great hockey
>games played on that ice. I thought that Steve Cady and his crew from Miami
>did a great job fixing everything once the problem started. It was fine for
>the championship game and I think they did a great job getting it fixed for
>the late game on Thursday night. Therefore, the only talk I would like to
>hear about ice from now is in our glasses.

I couldn't agree more.  Listen, folks, this is an event that took place in
real time.  Just think of everything that's happened to you in real time.
How much of that has gone absolutely, perfectly, hunky-dorily o.k.?
Considering how little actual inconvenience was caused, and how little the
ice was said to have affected the games, I think we should thank the people
in Cinci for handling it so well.

>Second, Michigan is one great hockey team.  Kudos to the UM program!!!

As hard as it is for a student at OSU to say this, Kudos to you UM!
Excellent hockey team, excellent coach, excellent program.  It's really
going to suck--to use the vernacular--for visiting teams in Yost next year,
especially when the UM loyal invent and recite incessantly their new
championship cheers.

>Third, if I ever have a son (a sick thought I know), and he wanted to play
>college hockey, I would want him to play for Don Lucia.

The part about reproduction aside, Don Lucia is one of the most sincere
people I've met associated with college hockey--or any sport.  Watching the
tears well in his eyes as his players praised him and the program after
their loss brought tears to my eyes.  Don Lucia is a nice man.  Nice is
underrated these days.

>Fourth, what great players were up for the Hobey Baker and what a great kid
>Brian Bonin is....Vermont's Martin St. Louis and Eric Perrin showed
>the people in the west that they are really great players. BU's Jay Pandolfo
>and Chris Drury were gracious in their loss to UM and never forgot Travis
>Roy for one minute. As Pandolfo skated for the handshake for the last time
>this season, he had Roy's jersey in hand one last time. And Morrison, who
>wanted to win for his coach more than himself. Kudos to all their families
>for raising good hockey players and better people.

This is the best-kept secret in NCAA D-I sports:  hockey boys are good kids
(for the most part).  These guys are among the best.

>Last, what great people college hockey fans are.

It's why I love my job.  I'll attend every NCAA D-I championship tournament
for the rest of my live-long days!

>It was great to John Haeusseler, with no voice, on the verge of tears when
UM won the title.

Oh, come on!  It's just great to see John Haeusseler with no voice--with or
without tears--at anytime!  :->

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who made my weekend in
Cinci a memorable one.  It was the best weekend of hockey I've ever seen,
and I met many wonderful folks.  Hats off to Carla Millard--the Miami
SID--for doing an excellent job of organizing the tournament, and hats off
to all of the folks who worked behind the scenes to put this weekend
together.  Thanks to Jon for the bash--a great time, man, and a great Pooh
tie!--and thanks to John Haeusseler for just being John.  And my sincere
condolences to the fans, players, and staff of UIC hockey.  If any of you
want to come to Columbus, we'd be glad to have you.

The biggest problem with the end of hockey season is that I now have time to
work on my dissertation.

Be good everyone!  See you in Milwaukee!

Paula C. Weston
Girl Reporter