From:
MR ADAM C WODON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MR ADAM C WODON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 1996 13:59:50 EST
-- [ From: Adam Wodon * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

> The "Hobey" is awarded for more than just hockey - and is
> not awarded to "the one most likely to succeed as an NHL
> player".  It might be interesting to examine the careers
> of all "Hobey" finalists, not just the winners.  It might
> turn out to be a list of successful people in something
> other than hockey - just a guess.

I think the answer to this question is pretty simple ... Not all the
best players in that age group are playing college hockey, as opposed
to college football, where ALL of the best players at that age playing
(except those leaving early).
   The majority of top players from 18-22 years old are either in
junior hockey or already in the NHL.  I wish this wasn't true, but it
is. I don't think you'll find it any better amongst Hobey finalists,
just like if you look through, say, past ECAC players of the year, you
won't find many stars either (Drury, Ciavaglia, Nieuwendyk).

   Combine this with the fact that being the best college player in ANY
sport in a certain year doesn't necessarily translate, and it's pretty
easy, in my opinion, to see the answer to this question.

   THAT BEING SAID ... I will note that not all Heisman winners have
done well, especially lately, and some Hobey winners have been missed.
    Tom Kurvers had a damn good career, and Robb Stauber isn't done
yet.  I wouldn't give up on Pellerin or Marinucci.
    And Lane McDonald's career ended because of injury.

AW