From:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 07:48:49 -0900
Mike Smar wrote

>Why is it a sad day? A terrible hockey program died. Much like a New
Orleans funeral,
>have a party and mourn the loss of a program that tried but failed.

Whether the UIC hockey program was terrible or not is not even an issue.  A
number of players' lives have been affected by a decision that, even if it
was necessary, was made in what appears nothing less than a underhanded,
deceitful manner.

I know this isn't the same as a family member dying, but perhaps a little
more sympathy could be extended to everyone affected by the decision to
drop the UIC hockey program.  Life will indeed go on and maybe UIC hockey
will soon be forgotten by most of us as they are replaced by someone else,
but as I noted to Paul Troy privately too many things in the rest of the
world happen just like this to just totally forget about it.

What's sad here is that it's painfully obvious what at least one university
believes its mission is.  In that Mike is right.  Is this a life lesson?
 Yes, unfortunately.  Should it always have to be this way?  Absolutely
not, I hope.

Eric Carlson
University of Alaska '78