From:
Nathan Boyle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 19:04:35 -0500
On Thu, 14 Mar 1996, Daniel Falk wrote:

> Nathan Boyle writes:
>
> Glad we'd head to the east bracket.  Not that the east is easy, but we
> know we can take Clarkson, and WMU.  Vermont I think lost to Minn mid
> season, and we played well against Minn in the next game.  I like our
> odds much better if we get seeded in the east.  But thats me. (snip)
>
> Also, I think Brian Morris quoted CC's coach as saying that the east
> had teams which consisted of "one line and a good goaltender."
>
> Frankly I am tireed of the blatant lack of respect/appreciation
> of western fans for eastern teams.  I was going to say that last
> year's Final was an all-east affair or that the final fours have been
> fairly well matched in recent years (maybe minus the 9-1 shellacking
> of BU to LSSU), or that maybe (Nathan) BGSU and Clarkson split this
> year on a SLOW Clarkson start to the 95-96 season which does not
> indicate to me that BGSU can 'handle' tech (who is on a 12 game
> unbeaten streak (maybe I shouldn't speak too soon) ).

I would not say that their is a lack of due respect.  But since you are
out east I can understand how it may be taken that way.  I'm looking at a
West bracket made up of teams like LSSU, Mich., CC, Minn, and Maybe MSU.
Six of the top ten teams (including BG as of this week) are out west, and
heading at each other.  I just don't want to get caught in the cross
fire!  And as I said, though the east is not easy, it looks far more
appealing to a west team like BG right now.  Likewise Buddy Powers knows
the east teams rather well, and as he said, he would feel comfortable
heading out east.

Now I think those comments by that coach were a little overstated, and
really insulting.  So I wouldn't lump my comments with his as such.  If
Maine weren't out of it, I think things might be different.

> I've noticed that western teams seem to favor size and strength
> while eastern teams seem to be a bit smaller.  It is also a fact
> that many of the bottom Div I dwellers are eastern teams. But
> getting a bid in Albany is NOT a cake walk.  Any team getting
> a bid will fight hard to win.  Rarely will a team completely
> collapse at the end, even if it's a "weaker" eastern team...
>
> 2 cents,
>
> Dan

I don't think anybody aside from that coach has really said that.

> BTW Mr. Boyle, just because a>b and b>c does not necessarily
> mean that a>c on any given night in college hockey OR pro hockey.
> How about UMass Amhearst beating UMaine last year, or
> Hartford beating Pittsburgh last night...

I think that is rather obvious.  But in the context of my comments I am
sure you realize it is intended to give a measure of how teams MIGHT match
up.  Besides, BG had a slow start as I see it.  There were a lot of
things that led to our mid season slid.  I was seeing those things early,
and they have only fixed a lot of those problems in the last few weeks.

In any case, like the man said: Enjoy the Hockey.  The playoffs are going
to be great, and will show the rest of the country some of the best
college hockey that may have been seen in a long time I hope.

Nathan W.L. Boyle
"College Hockey: The other March Madness!"