From:
Howard Stein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Howard Stein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 22:18:33 -0500
>However, the more interesting question to me is, what is the penalty to
>Yale for a senior in his last game, getting DQ'ed.

I wouldn't think that Yale would be penalized in any way.  Since the
infraction occurred in the context of a game, I can't see that any rules
other than the NCAA Ice Hockey Rules would come into play (e.g. the NCAA
administrative procedures, with which I am admittedly very unfamiliar).

Based on the description of the incident, it does not sound like the
players involved in the fight intentionally swung at the officials (rule
6-1l provides for a major and a disqualification for anyone who
intentionally makes contact with an official).  The rule book does include
a section regarding supplementary discipline (4-10), which reads:

"The proper disciplinary authority may, at the conclusion of the game, and
at its discretion, investigate any incident that occurs in connection with
any game and may assess additional suspensions for any offense committed
before, during or after a game by a player, coach, manager, trainer or
nonplaying personnel, independent of whether such offense had been
penalized by the referee."

My guess is that this would be applied to either serious offenses that the
officials missed (e.g. an intentional slash causing an injury behind the
play) or to particularly egregious offenses that really do warrant more
than a disqualification (I seem to recall some recent discussion of teams
piling on the referee after a playoff loss).  This incident, while a major
fight, would not seem to fit either of these situations.  If either or both
players had intentionally hit any of the officials, that *might* warrant
further review, although that is at the discretion of the ECAC (I would
guess, since it was a league game).

In any case, I would be surprised if any further disciplinary action arose
from this incident.

Howie

Howard Stein                                       Go Big Red!
Cornell '91                                        Kill, Schafer, Kill!