From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 1994 14:29:24 -0400
[log in to unmask] (Brian Morris) wrote:

>That is very interesting news.  But how about the ESPN
>coverage?  I thought the  reason the finals played on
>Saturday night was because ESPN wanted some
>programming to fill its schedule while CBS aired the
>b-ball semis.  It doesn't  make much sense for ESPN to
>contintue to air the finals on Saturday night,  since
>that would make the event even less attractive
>ratings-wise.  I could see  showing a tape delay of the
>game on Sunday, or even the next weekend, like they
>they did when Wisconsin beat Colgate in '91 (sigh).  I
>don't think a tape delay  is in the best interests of
>college hockey, in terms of national exposure.
>
>IMHO the way to go to maximize exposure is to play the
>semis as a "twi-night"  doubleheader on Friday.  The
>finals would then be played on Sunday afternoon.  In so
>doing you put your finals in time periods that would
>attract the greatest  tv audience.  It also makes it
>easier on the fans who travel to see the games,  since
>it's one less day away from work.

Since I already ordered my tickets I will have to go whenever
they play the games<g>.  As for having the semis on Friday and
the final on Sunday afternoon, that is what they did at Detroit
in 90.  I believe it was scheduled that way from the start, yet
ESPN "did not find out in time" and could not televise the
championship game live (tracter pulls are huge ratings winners
for ESPN).

Personally, I liked the Thursday-Friday-Saturday schedule the
best from a fan point-of-view.  Three nights of great hockey in
a row (especially at Lake Placid in 88).  The current schedule
of both semis on the same day is fairer for the teams though.
I also prefer the Thursday-Saturday schedule over a
Friday-Sunday schedule.  By the way, I have been to the finals
for 7 of the last 9 years (I missed Detroit in 87 and St. Paul
in 89).

Sean Pickett     -     Go BU Terriers, 1994 Hockey East
Champions!