From:
"Luiz F. Valente" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Luiz F. Valente
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 1994 16:41:09 EDT
>Posted on 22 Sep 1994 at 13:28:28 by Iceman [Peter Knapp]
>
>Scholarships
>
>Date:         Thu, 22 Sep 1994 12:29:50 -0500
>From:         "Iceman [Peter Knapp]" <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Time for all you D1 experts out there to settle a little hockey-related
>argument for me.  A friend of mine who attends Dartmouth was home visiting and
>we got to
>talking hockey.  She mentioned that as campus tour guides, they are not
>allowed to even breathe the words "athletic scholarships."  In fact, her
>contention is that Dartmouth does not give scholarships based on athletics.
>Now, I know Dartmouth is a major D1 hockey school, so they obviously give
>out scholarships, right?  Thanks in advance for any help in settling this
>little argument.
>
>Peter Knapp
>"The Iceman"
>Augustana College

The Ivy League schools (Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard,
The University of Pennsylvania, Princeton and Yale) do not give
athletic scholarships. Financial Aid (on the basis of need alone) is
available to any undergraduate, whether or not he/she is a varsity athlete.
Many top varsity athletes at Ivy League universities pay full tuition
and fees because they do not qualify for financial aid. It is not uncommon
for student-athletes to turn down scholarship offers from other schools in
order to attend Ivy League universities.

Luiz F. Valente