Sender:
From:
Anthony Frolik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 09:06:56 -0600
>It has been suggested by a few people that the strength of the various leagues
>and perhaps ratings of teams are adversely affected by the also-rans (of any
>given year).  So I've run a few "scenarios" using HEAL as a ranking scheme
>(my HEAL program runs faster than my RPI program :-)).  I can report that I
>cannot provide any evidence to support that contention. (But what do you
>want for 5 minutes work!).
>
>2. Take the top-5 from each league.  Result: the western leagues have
>   a significant advantage over the eastern leagues.  Individual team
>   rankings are significantly jumbled with all eastern teams falling in
>   the ranking except UML, who raised slightly.  Note: CC played only 11
>   games against these 20 teams. :-)

I can't figure how CC only played 11 games against the 2-5 places in the
WCHA and the top 5 from the other leagues.

Oct 21-22       Minnesota               (2) WCHA2 T,W
Nov 24-25       North Dakota            (2) WCHA5 W,W
Dec 27          Cornell                 (1) ECAC4 W } Denver Cup
Dec 28          Denver                  (1) WCHA3 L } Games
Jan  5- 6       Minnesota-Duluth        (2) WCHA4 W,W
Jan 12-14       Denver                  (2) WCHA3 L,W
Feb  2- 3       Denver                  (2) WCHA3 W,W
Feb  9-10       Minnesota               (2) WCHA2 L,W

That's 14 games (not much better) at 10-3-1, and 12 if you throw out the
tourney games at 9-2-1.

I must not be doing something right.  Can anyone help?

TF

--
Anthony J. Frolik                            University of Minnesota Duluth
Go Bulldogs!                                  16-15-1 WCHA, 20-17-1 Overall