Sender:
From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 10:00:13 -0500
To: Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Good Morning -

On Tue, 12 Mar 1996, Deron Treadwell wrote:

  [snip, snip ]

> What maybe is more important to consider however is how the NCAA Selection
> Committee will deal with Maine's removing themselves from consideration.
> They may not be considered as a "Team Under Consideration (TUC)" by the
> committee.  Therefore, all games teams played against Maine this season
> would not count in the selection process.  This could have positive and
> negative effects for teams across the nation.

  A related question ....  Since TUC has been nominally defined as "those
teams with a winning percentage at/above 0.500" how will the NCAA number-
crunchers handle the situation should Harvard (however improbably) win the
ECAC Tournament (and automatic NC$$ bid) with a sub-0.500 record ??  Robin
Lock and I have discussed this off-line, but it's still not clear to me
what the procedure is for teams in this situation.  If Harvard is "in" by
virtue of its ECAC Tournament win, will games played vs. Harvard enter the
PWR computations, even though they're not "technically" a TUC ??  Or would
they now be considered a TUC because they've automatically qualified ?? I
doubt entering Harvard game results into the PWR computations will affect
whether a particular "bubble" team is invited or not (other than perhaps
SLU, but they've already shot themselves in the foot w/r to Harvard), but
it might shuffle the relative positioning of fellow ECAC TUCs Vermont,
Clarkson and Cornell and thereby change E/W seedings ....

> Perhaps Erik and/or Tim should run their programs with Maine, and their
> games totally out of the picture since we can't be sure which will be used.

  I'd surmise that runs with/without Harvard would be illustrative too ....

  Cheers from Maryland - Jim