From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 1994 09:02:35 EST
Sunday afternoon at Bright, after not playing RIT because of snow
on Saturday, the Crimson played a good match and overpowered the Big
Red.  It was an added treat to see former Harvard star and current
head coach of Cornell Julie "Sassy" Andeberhan.

The new Cornell coach has her team developing and I thought their
quick break out plays showed her style.  It was just such a play that
led to Big Red taking the early lead.  After stealing the puck,
Christine Stewart (Pam Archabal) skated in on net, shot once, collect-
ed the rebound and circled the net, shot again and then put in her own
rebound.  AJ Mleczko (Joey Alissi, Winkie Mleczko) evened the score
when Alissi won a face-off, set up the play in neutral ice and then
hit the breaking AJ.  AJ's high wrist shot from just inside the blue
line found net.  AJ (Holly Leitzes, Francie Walton) made it 2-1
Harvard on a power play goal.  They were using the "Get it to AJ in
front" play.  The first period was played very evenly.

In the second period Megan Hall (Kate Schutt, Diana Clark) finished
off a nice 1-2 with Schutt.  AJ made it 4-1 when her hang-gliding
routine let her wrist in another from just inside the blue line.
Stacy Kellogg (Hall, Malek) got in on the act when she twirled and
fired from just in front of the net.  At this point Harvard had
taken control of the game and was actually playing its third line!

In the third period Christa Calagione (Malek, Walton) was just able
to catch up with the puck and touch it in.  AJ got a shorthanded goal
when she used her large reach to intercept a pass and then tuck the
puck under the goalie.  Schutt (Malek) made the Crimson lead 8-1 when
her shot deflected in off a defender after a good 3-1 break.  Kellogg
(AJ, Calagione) got a power play goal when she skated the puck out of
the corner and then put it away at the near post.  Nice goal!  Cornell
got a power play goal on a Harvard defender error when Jennifer Wilson
(Tracey Cornell) drilled her shot after getting a nice backdoor pass.
Calagione then scored the best goal of the afternoon when her oh-la-la
solo effort found her outskating the defense and then deking the
goalie.  Lovely goal!  Cornell came right back when Andy Schmalz
(Cornell, Jessica Becker) took the puck in and scored from a center
ice face-off.  Clark (Winkie) finished the scoring when her fluttering
shot from the slot fooled the Big Red goaltender.

Cornell is a developing team.  As I said I was impressed with their
fast break out plays.  They are playing like a team and showing some
good hustle.  It will take a couple of years and few players to move
up in the league, but I think they are headed in the right direction.
At least they are looking at skating!  The outstanding Big Red player
was senior defender Andy Schmalz.  She is a good tough defender who
uses her mobility well.  I also like the skating of forwards
Christine Stewart and Tracey Cornell.  The Big Red went with five
defenders, double shifting Schmalz and two lines.  I would have liked
to see their third line get to play.

Since Hockey-L wasn't around in the late 80's, I would like to say a
few words about Cornell head coach Julie "Sassy" Andeberhan.  She
along with fellow Harvard star player Char Joslin is what got me into
women's ice hockey.  "Sassy" was a stylish center.  A marvelous team
player she always managed to use and help her teammates on the ice.
Her slap shoot from the point on power plays was incredible.  I still
think of it as one of the most accurate I have ever seen.  Still the
memory I carry the most is #15 breaking in with a burst of speed and
deking the goal out before touching the puck into the net.  What a
player!  "Sassy" was a member of the 1990 USA Women's World Champion-
ship team, and remains one of my favorite hockey players.

Harvard played one of its better games this season.  The best player
for the Crimson had to be AJ.  Her four goals gave them the confi-
dence to press forward.  I'll have to say that her gliding approach
works against the lesser lights, because of her big reach and her
great hands/wrists.  She just gets the puck, sees her opening and
bang, its in the net.  A truely fine goal scorer.  I just would like
to see what she could do if she got her feet moving.  The gliding is
not an option against the better teams.  Christa Calagione is im-
proving rapidly.  Yesterday she was Harvard's most exciting player.
She doesn't have a fluid skating motion, but she let's it rip and
goes with what she's got.  She took a couple of dumb penalties early
on.  In the later stages of the match she was moved from the second
line to centering the third.  At that point she started to move.  She
is a tad on the selfish side, but a good scorer is.  Nice going
Calagione!  Megan Hall had another good game.  She carries the puck
so well.  I would like to see her on the first line.  Her playmaking
and scoring instincts would be interesting with Alissi and AJ.  I
think it would relieve Alissi of having to do all the background
work.  Colleen Malek had an excellent game on D.  The first-year
player has become a goto person.  She is there when you need her.
Holly Leitzes continues her splendid play.  As one person commented
to me, let's have all the other players go wherever Holly went last
summer for skating.  Here, here.  Leitzes break out passes are very
intelligent.  I liked the play of the third line of Calagione, Frump
and Duval.  They got their chance in the 2nd and 3rd and played very
well.  Erin Villiotte coming back from the USA Women's training camp
in Lake Placid looked very quick.  Backup goalie Whitney Smith saw
some action in the third.  Overall a good effort and a valuable
league victory for the team.  I suppose the thing that haunts me is
that many players looked like they hadn't touched their skates over
the break.  Without the movement, the Big 6 are going to crunch the
Crimson.

Harvard Leading Scorers
                           Overall                ECAC
                     GP    G    A    PT       G    A    PT
AJ Mleczko '97       10   17   10    27      11    6    17
Joey Alissi '94      10    6   10    16       2    5     7
Stacy Kellogg '96    10    8    7    15       5    3     8
Holly Leitzes '96    10    2   10    12       2    6     8
Francie Walton '94   10    1    9    10       0    5     5

Harvard Goaltending
                     GP    GA    SV    GAA    SV%    W    L    T    SO
Erin Villiotte '95   10    22   181+   2.13- .896+   5    4    1     0

/
 good shooting
 rhun