From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1993 10:14:47 EST
Thursday evening at Matthews found Northeastern extending its winning
ways to 9-0, as they hung on to edge Providence College.  The Friars
could have easily won that match 3-4, but the Huskies had just enough
creative offense to win.

PC came out in the first period with a stylish offense of skate and
pass.  They were totally dominating play, until Shelley Looney (Kim
Haman) finished off her solo rush with a nice touch shot to the lower
corner of the net.  At that point, the game turned around and the
Huskies started to take the play to PC.  Haman (Looney, Jeanine
Sobek) made it 2-0 when she was allowed to loop around the Friar
zone during a 4 on 4 situation.  Haman's excellent shot found the
high corner of the goal.

Off the opening face-off for the second period, Providence struck
back as first-year sensation Alison Wheeler (Lynn Manning, Stephanie
O'Sullivan) skated the puck into the Huskie zone, circled the net
and put in her own rebound.  Great play!  At that point, we again
had PC taking control of the game.  However, Looney's (Haman, Kim
Drews) second goal knocked the stuffing out of the Friars again.
Looney and Haman executed a perfect 2 on 1 break to set up the goal.

In the third period, Soberk (Julie Otto) looked like she had broken
PC for good, when she put in a rebound, off a series of shots.  The
Friars got a power play goal from captain Chris Bailey (O'Sullivan,
Manning) when she drilled a rebound into the roof of the net.  In
the dying seconds of the match Providence made it 4-3 when O'Sullivan
(Bailey) put in another rebound.

Providence is a marvelous team to watch.  They have a wonderful mix
of long-ball and swarm attack.  As a team, they skate and move the
puck expertly.  John "What's my line?" Marchetti has a truely talent-
ed, strong team.  Last night, the goals didn't go in for them.
Clearly they have all the skills to win any game.  The first line of
O'Sullivan, Wheeler and Manning is elegant.  They can do it all at
both ends of the ice.  I was impressed with Alison Wheeler who can
move, and is a tremendous playmaker.  The second line of Melissa
Mills, Alana Blahoski and Wendy Cofran is very good.  They skate like
the wind.  I like Blahoski.  It is amazing how quick she is.  If she
could add some kill-instinct to her play around the net, she would be
in a class by herself.  The outstanding player of the match was PC's
senior defender Chris Bailey.  Her power rushes and command of her
defensive zone was very impressive.  Kim Dowd also had a fairly good
match on defense.  She has real good puck control, but can over do it
when trying to stick handle around players.  Add to that a nice sing-
ing of the National Anthem by third line wing Kathleen Brophy and you
have a total team package.  I thought the only thing working against
Providence was that for all of their control, they wasted tons of
chances.  Kill-instinct is something many of their players need,
at least last night.

Northeastern started out the match just reacting to the Friars.
After they got the opening goal, they picked up their skating and
started pushing the play.  It appears right now, that the Huskies are
destine to score and win games.  They play with fire.  Their players
of the match were the four defenders.  They bent and took tons of
pressure from Providence, but they did not break.  Missi Werner, Kim
Drews, Katherine Wyman and Bree Cheatham played splendidly.  On the
attack, Shelley Looney was, as usual, the speedy, power center, who
leads her team to victory.  Her goals keyed the win for NU.  The
first line of Kelly Tapani, Looney and Haman again had an excellent
match.  Haman has a deadly shot.  I have also been impressed with
the continued improved play of 2nd line winger Danyel Howard.  The
sophomore is skating very well, and is becoming a force on the team.
I was highly disappointed that Northeastern used dirty play in the
third period to hold onto their lead.  Reverting to goon tactics is
not worthy of these players and coaches.  Shame on them.

Having seen PC, UNH and NU, I would have to say that I do not see a
clear favorite for the league title and playoff championship.  On any
given night, these teams could blow each other off the ice.  From
what I have heard, Brown, Princeton and Dartmouth are not far behind.
That is great, as the competitive level in the ECAC Women's League
is very high.

/
 good shooting
 rhun